So, I took a small break this week from working on the Star Lord costume to help another racer with their super hero outfit.
The costume was Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6.
My first task was making the helmet. To do this, I decided to use EVA foam. There are tons of tutorials and videos showing how to craft EVA foam costumes so, after studying up, I got to work.
We began by wrapping someone’s head with foil followed by masking tape. The tape helps reinforce the structure of the mock up. After drawing the helmet shape we wanted on the masking tape, we cut it off. It looked like this:
At this point, I referenced a particularly helpful Youtube video to transfer the pattern to the foam. I watched it about 30 times. The guy’s accent is awesome.
After transferring the pattern to card stock and then foam, I cut out the foam and assembled the helmet. The foam helmet then looked like this:
I used a few more foam pieces to make the wings. I used a dremel to shape the pieces. I then applied a couple layers of Mod Podge followed by multiple layers of Plastidip to reinforce the helmet and seal the foam.
I painted it afterwards with multiple layers of watered down acrylic paint. We went with a shade that was a little more “pink” than the original.
Then, I used thinner craft foam from Hobby Lobby to make some of the accent pieces. I painted the craft foam orange before attaching them to the helmet.
Unfortunately, I’m still a novice at this and so wasn’t able to get the helmet as smooth as I would have liked. I still need to apply a clear coat, but here is the almost finished product:
The race is less than two weeks away! Thanks to those who have already donated!